Travel The World

Travel The World

My Most Favourite Quote of All Times

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page" - St. Agustine



Sunday, October 16, 2011

Travel To Oxford, England - EuropeTrip Part 1


TRAVEL TRIP (AUGUST 2011)

For me, Oxford is not as wonderful as I heard. When you read in some of the travel websites, it says that Oxford is an interesting place to visit. I disagree with this statement. Yes the place is beautiful but I don't believe the word interesting is accurate. I felt a little bored when I was in Oxford.


Well who knows, maybe there were lots of travelers who think Oxford is fun and interesting. To me, Oxford is nothing than just a university town. Thank God I wasn't long there, or I might not known what to do with the ample times I had.

I came to Oxford from Bath by train.

TRANSPORTATION

1. From Malaysia
If you are travelling from Malaysia, usually you will departure from KLIA (Kuala Lumpur International Airport). KL or Kuala Lumpur is the federal capital with lots of city attractions.

To book the airlines ticket, you have two choices. Try AirAsia (www.airasia.com) for a better rate as this is Malaysian low-cost carrier. AirAsia flies only to few international destinations. You must check where is your departure airport in Malaysia because most of AirAsia flights fly from KLIA2. For another option you may also check MAS (www.malaysiaairlines.com) as this is the national carrier of Malaysia, price could be higher. But you will be surprised during promotion, price is very competitive. MAS definitely takes off from KLIA, not KLIA2. Journey will takes about 14 to 15 hours by direct flight.

MAS will lands in Heathrow Airport while AirAsia in Stansted Airport, London (check for update information).

2. From Bath
By Road:
You may travel by car/bus/taxi to Oxford. Journey is about 1 to 2 hours. The National Express coach is very reliable. National Express is an intercity coach operator providing services throughout England, Scotland and Wales.

You can check this website for more information on UK National Express: www.nationalexpress.com.
You can check these websites for car rental: www.avis.com.mywww.europcar.com.mywww.thrifty.co.ukwww.hertz.co.ukwww.enterprise.co.uk.

By Rail:
If you want to travel by train, please check this website www.thetrainline.com or www.raileurope.com. The journey will takes about an hour and half. Train to Oxford will departure from Bath Spa Station and arrive in Oxford Station.
 
ACCOMMODATION

For big cities where there are lots of attraction, I usually will advise before deciding on places to stay in, you need to choose which area is your preference. Since Oxford is a small town, to be honest it does not really matter where you stay. I would suggest for you to pick an accommodation around the city center. It will be easier for transportation as you will only need to walk. Basically there are 3 favorite neighborhoods in Oxford (bear in mind that outside the city center are just countryside village atmosphere, thus I will not put any specific description as the sceneries were almost the same):

1. Oxford City Center

2. Grandpont

3. Kennington


PLACES OF INTEREST

There are few interesting places in Oxford that you should consider to visit from my opinions (sorry I am not a museum person).
 
I went to Alice in Wonderland Shop which was really awesome as I am always a fan. Alice in Wonderland is all about creating an imaginary world in the reality of our lives. In fact, when I was small, I remember Alice in Wonderland was one of my favorite bedtime stories. Lewis Carroll, the author who wrote Alice in Wonderland was inspired from his best friend, Henry Liddel’s daughter, Alice Liddel. Alice Liddel was always alone by herself and full of fantasies. Sometimes when the reality disappoint us, it won't hurt to create a fantasy world that will keep us happy. You can read about Lewis Carroll with his real name, Charles Lutwidge Dodgson. It is very interesting indeed.


From Alice in Wonderland Shop I went to famous Christchurch which was just across the street. Some of the Harry Porter’s scenes were shot in here. The place was really beautiful with green meadow and colorful flowers. Christ Church Cathedral is the cathedral of the diocese of Oxford, which consists of the counties of Oxford, Buckingham and Berks. It also acts as chapel for Christ Church College at the University of Oxford


I also went to University of Oxford to check out the big dining hall where Harry Porter’s main scenes were taken most of the times. There were also few other historical attractions in Oxford that I accidently found when I was wondering in the city by foot. I was a traveler back then and not a tourist. I only planned to see some of the places but others I want to encounter them by surprise. Wherever my foot took me. The best thing about English city/town is that it is always good to travel by foot. You will not feel too tired or drained walking around those places. The city is usually intimate. Locals are also used of walking, probably due to the weather. Unlike in Malaysia, the heat and humidity are too much for us to handle.


To conclude, all I can say about Oxford is that the city is beautiful with amazing landscape and stunning old buildings structures (most European cities are). But it was originally established from the growth of Oxford University residents. Therefore I believe this is the reason it is not so lively. The nightlife is very pale too. If you like a quite life, this city suits you.

-Alvy-

4 comments:

  1. im always dream, i am in wonderland too....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi admin
    Thanks for sharing this amazing article and i think you know about lucky patcher alternative and i think it works like a charm. Please post more article like this and i will visit here again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Ben Anderson this side. I am working in a ticket cancellation department under the Etihad Name Change Policy. If you want to know about Etihad Change Name on Ticket then you can reach there by dialling tel:+1-844-673-0381 you can submit your request for the changes there.

    ReplyDelete