Travel The World

Travel The World

My Most Favourite Quote of All Times

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page" - St. Agustine



Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Travel To Paris, France - EuropeTrip Part 1


TRAVEL TRIP (SEPTEMBER 2011)

Finally, I came to my last destination before returned back to Malaysia. Paris! Bonjour! Como tele vu! I always wanted to go to Paris since when I was small.

As soon as I saw Eiffel Tower, I completely fell in love. Never for once, I dreamt that I would be able to fulfil my dream at the age of 27. I like travel, but come on? I need money! LOL. I always tell myself, “Relax Alvy...although you want to go to Paris so bad, the timing is still not perfect. Your financial is not stable. Wait till you become a little older then you may have enough money to go."

But when you talk about 'rezeki'? God works in his own mysterious way fulfilling my dream earlier than I expected. Alhamdulillah. I was so grateful as this is the place that I had set my mind in, I have to visit before I die.

TRANSPORTATION

1. From Malaysia
If you are travelling from Malaysia, usually you will departure from KLIA (Kuala Lumpur International Airport). KL or Kuala Lumpur is the federal capital with lots of city attractions.

To book the airlines ticket, you have two choices. Try AirAsia (www.airasia.com) for a better rate as this is Malaysian low-cost carrier. AirAsia flies only to few international destinations. You must check where is your departure airport in Malaysia because most of AirAsia flights fly from KLIA2. For another option you may also check MAS (www.malaysiaairlines.com) as this is the national carrier of Malaysia, price could be higher. But you will be surprised during promotion, price is very competitive. MAS definitely takes off from KLIA, not KLIA2. Journey will takes about 13 to 14 hours by direct flight.

MAS will lands in Charles de Gaulle Airport while AirAsia in Orly Airport, Paris (check for update information).

2. From London
By Road:
You may travel by car/bus/taxi to Paris. Journey is about 8 to 9 hours as there are many stops along the way. With car the journey will be faster. The National Express coach is very reliable. National Express is an intercity coach operator providing services throughout England, Scotland and Wales.

By Air:
London has six major airports: London Heathrow, London Stansted, London Gatwick, London Luton, London City and London Southend. Various airlines company provide direct flight from London to Paris.

From London Heathrow Airport:
www.airberlin.com
www.iberia.com
www.airfrance.com

From London Stansted Airport:
www.easyjet.com

From London Gatwick Airport:
www.easyjet.com

 From London Luton Airport:
www.easyjet.com

From London City Airport:
www.cityjet.com
 
From London Southend Airport:
www.easyjet.com

By Rail:
If you want to travel by train, please check this website www.thetrainline.com or www.raileurope.com. The journey will also takes about 3 hours (fast train). Train to Paris will departure from London St Pancras Station and arrive in Paris Gare Du Nord Station.

ACCOMMODATION

Before deciding on places to stay in Paris, you need to choose which area is your preference. There are 5 favorite neighborhoods with its own characteristic that may help you to decide:

1. Eiffel Tower to St Germain-des-Prés
The charming left bank delivers the perfect mix of grand sights with a hypnotic sleepy village ambiance. The west, near the Eiffel Tower is renowned for being one of the safest, quietest and most prestigious neighbourhoods. A Popular district with families and those after a retreat from the bustle of metropolis Paris. Being one of the most desirable residential districts in Paris comes with a hefty price tag, especially if the room comes equipped with a view of the iconic Eiffel Tower. For something a little less pricey and a little livelier head down towards the enchanting Germain des Prés. You’ll find a mix of affordable hotels and boutiques that line the maze of delightful twisty streets.

2. Latin Quarter to The Islands
Join the eclectic mix of thinkers and undisciplined students in the second arrondissement, beautifully nestled between the Seine and Luxembourg gardens. The picturesque Latin Quarter famous for its literary heritage still remains a lively cultural student hub hosting more restaurants and cinemas than any other neighborhood. This historic Parisian district oozes awe inspiring architecture and showcases a fine display of some Paris’s must see monuments such as the impressive Notre Dame and the beautiful jewel studded Sainte-Chapelle. There is a real mix of bourgeois and bohemian accommodation in this district. A good range of small hotels with plenty of character can be found on Ile St Louis and Ile de La City.

3. The Louvre to Arc de Triomphe
It’s hard not to be swept away by the exclusivity and grandeur of the first arrondissement. Renowned as the royal heart of Paris, it contains all the glitz and glamour you would expect. Centrally located, this district is ideal for museum lovers, art appreciators and serious shoppers and is a stone throw away from a selection of Paris’s finest sights, including the Louvre, place de concord, arc de triumph and the infamous Champs-Elysées. You’ll be sure to find an array of upscale boutiques and ritzy hotels in one of Paris chicest postcodes, keep in mind such an exclusive area comes complete with an exclusive price tag.

4. Le Marais to Bastille
Medieval Marais provides a pleasant retreat from the hustle and bustle and is home to some of the oldest surviving streets in Paris. The picturesque area has now become a well frequented fashionable districted but has managed to retain its peaceful and tranquil ambience. Here you will find a variety of boutiques, budget hotels and a number of old exceptionally converted mansions, all at reasonable prices. The trendy Bastille area is ideally located for easy access to many of Paris’s must see sights such as Place des Vosges, Notre Dame and the controversial opera house. The area is well populated with metros for access to cross city venues and has an abundance of funky bars, clubs and restaurants to suit any budget.

5. Montmartre
For picture postcard Paris with winding streets, ivy clad house and exquisite gardens Montmartre is your go to district, if you don’t mind the hilly location. Although besieged by the typical tourist trail heading towards the Moulin Rouge and Sacré-Coeur, the area still has a distinct village character. Montmartre has the highest concentration of hotels and going out is generally inexpensive which make its popular amongst backpackers. Montmartre is a ceaseless hub of activity bursting with an eclectic selection of quirky bars, chic cafes and lively nightclubs populated by an abundance of artists, musicians and thinkers. Best avoid Pigalle area late at night, especially families with young children. Although a little further out there is ready access to metros and buses.

PLACES OF INTEREST

Well to talk about Paris generally, I would say yes, it is a great big city with lots of attraction. Somehow it was not as beautiful as it is branded to be. I guess sometimes in life, that is why we must know how to ‘brand’ ourselves. Getting yourself hired in an interview is a good example. Paris to me is all about ‘branding’. It was great, but not as per my huge expectation. 'Indah Khabar Dari Rupa'. One thing that I am not keen to say but the truth, Paris is a dirty city. Yet, I have to admit that it is an exciting place to live, considering you must know how to speak French.

Parisians are mostly like Malaysians I would say. To compare on one thing, when I was in UK, people obeyed to laws/rules even though when there was no authority watching. I remembered standing by the street for the pedestrian crossing red light to go green together with the locals although there was no car around. Discipline. In Paris, even when the car was coming so close, people tend to run across the street like chicken (the scenario is same as in Malaysia).

The best thing about Paris for a traveler like me was the street name. The signs were all very clear. Frankly speaking I saved a lot of money by just walking (and with help from Mr. Google Maps). Walking in Paris was a pleasant experience. Unlike UK, some of the street’s names is nowhere to be seen, therefore I need to ask a lot. This is probably associated with the city planning. And I also took some of the public transports for free. Was it just my luck? I didn't know how to pay and nobody asked me for fare. For example my brother said he was asked to pay 16 Euro for the bus that took him to Orly Airport. I took the same bus and got in for free. I went into the bus and nobody asked me for fare until I reached the airport.

The places I visited in Paris were all really good. The one true undeniable fact about Paris is, it has its own identity. Each place that I visited has its own grandeur signature. I went to see the:
1. Eiffel Tower


2. Arc de Triomphe


3. Notre Dame


4. Champ Elysees


5. Versailles Palace


6. Pantheon


7. Eglise de la Madeline


8. Invalides


9. Sacre Coeur


10. Assemblee Nationale


11. The Louvre


12. Montmartre


13. Central Paris

and many other places. All these names that I mentioned are the ones that you must go if you visit Paris. They were so incredibly beautiful and different, especially when you are at Sacre Coeur, which is the highest peak of Montmartre, you would be able to see the whole city of Paris. I sat there, drinking my hot chocolate and croissant, while watching the sun to set and rest on my last evening in Paris. It was an unforgettable moment.

Adieu Paris! I miss Paris tellement.

-Alvy-

1 comment: